Charlie Bujan was born on Mustang Island on September 6, 1906. His father, Matteo Bujan, settled on on the island in 1885.
Charlie had a herd of about 250 cattle that ran on the island for many years until the law required cattle to be fenced in. The land he leased from the State of Texas extended from the current Charlie’s Pasture pier to the end of the island at East Flats. He moved his cattle onto the lease and built stock pens across from the pier.
Charlie’s Pasture was also the place where, as far back as the 1950’s, island youngsters hung out or spent many a night camping out under the stars.
Charlie’s Pasture is a major part of the local heritage on Mustang Island. In May 2002, the City began an effort to preserve this section of natural habitat, enlisting the talents and ideas of many local residents and area agencies. The Port Aransas Nature Preserve at Charlie’s Pasture is truly a gift for future generations – a sense of history, a study of habitat, and an appreciation of nature at its best.